Tuesday, June 17, 2014

tutorial: change pewter beads to aged bronze with DecoArt

Use DecoArt Metallic Lustre to change pewter beads to aged bronze - by sueallemandart.com  #decoart #decoartacrylicpaints
Here's a quick tutorial for you!  I needed some aged bronze heart beads for a commissioned jewelry piece - but aged bronze beads are so hard to find at stores and shows!  If you're looking for pewter, you'll find hundreds of styles and designs, so....

I remembered DecoArt had sent me some of their new Metallic Lustre Finishes in my last Helping Artist box, so I thought I'd give it a try!  And Iced Espresso turned out to be a perfect match to all the aged bronze/vintage look chains and findings that are the trend right now!

Pewter Heart Beads, DecoArt Metallic Lustre tutorial, Sue Allemand Art.com

#1 - Start with some pewter beads in the style you want.  These are the ones I started with.  I wasn't sure which size I wanted, so I chose a couple different ones.

DecoArt Metallic Lustre tutorial, Iced Espresso, Sue Allemand Art.com, #decoartacrylicpaints

#2 - Get a small paintbrush and some DecoArt Metallic Lustre Iced Espresso!   I put some of the beads in a dixie cup thinking that I would just put the lustre on the brush and swirl it onto the beads in the cup - no mess.  But, that didn't work.  The Metallic Lustre isn't the consistency of paint - it's a wax - so you need to paint the Lustre onto each bead individually.  No biggie...just a little messy on the hands with these small buggers...but you could use plastic gloves if you wish!  :)

Make sure to paint all sides and edges.  Let dry.

#3 - Spray the finished beads with Americana Acrylic Spray Sealer - Matte or Gloss.  I used matte because I wanted it to fit in with the other matte finished metal products I was using.  But you can use either one.  I sprayed them inside a small box...let dry...flip the beads over to the other side and spray again....let dry.  And voila!!!

DecoArt Metallic Lustre tutorial by Sue Allemand Art.com #decoartacrylicpaints

They match perfectly!  So, next time you don't have the exact color of metal beads that you need -- just get out the DecoArt Metallic Lustre and change their color!!   It comes in 6 different finishes including Silver & Copper!!  And you can order online if you can't find it in a store near you!  Just think of all the metal stuff you can rub this on to create "new" items for your home!!

Come follow DecoArt on Facebook!

Hugs,
Sue