Thursday, February 6, 2014

Pinterest LOVE

Are you a  Conscientious and Considerate PINner??

Hi, my name is Sue... and I'm a Pinterest addict!  :)  Haha.  I'm a very visual person - hence, ARTIST, haha.  And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the gorgeous "treats for the eyes" that Pinterest provides!!  Lots of inspiration, recipes, projects, color charts and decorating ideas!  

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/181481059958053874/

It's a gorgeous way to waste a few hours -- pinning things that you expect to get back to one of these days!   Whether it's a project you want to try, or a gift item you want to purchase for a loved one - we pin and pin away without ever checking to see if the Pin actually links anywhere! 

Do you just RePIN and not test the link??  I think we all have, at one time or another.  But it's not right!  And in some cases, may get you in trouble with the site management or owner's of copyrighted material that you RePIN.  Did you know that?

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/55380270392019766/

To be a conscientious and considerate PINner -- please click through to make sure the original link is intact!  The easiest way to do this, without losing your place on the page, is to Hit Ctrl + tap the picture... this will open the Pin in another Tab and you can click it from there to make sure it goes to the original Blog or Website post - before you Repin!

While you're there, if it's an ART page or blog, be sure there are no NOTICES posted by the Artist that prohibits Pinning.  Some artists have it listed, right on their page, that they don't wish to have their items Pinned on Pinterest or "shared" in any other way.  If you violate this request, Pinterest has rules in place that will allow them to Delete your Account for copyright violation.  So PLEASE - check your Pins.

And if you're an ARTIST -- please please please, watermark your images!!!  FB and Pinterest and Twitter can be GREAT marketing tools - but if your art isn't watermarked - it makes it VERY easy for violaters to steal your designs and sell them on products around the web!  We're finding more and more of this happening everyday!  I have NEVER had a company or a customer say, "Ugh - I was going to by your design, but the watermark was just so obtrusive that I couldn't see your art!"  And in my opinion, I'd rather be SAFER than SORRY!  Yes - it is still against Copyright Law for people to steal your designs - but that doesn't stop them!  And do you have thousands of dollars to fight every two-bit violater out there?  I don't!!  So let's help protect our own work!  And if you see a fellow artists work being used improperly - please let them know!!  I also use my url as a watermark -- this way, if a link becomes unattached for whatever reason -- people will still be able to find you by the domain name!

So.... that's just my two cents on the matter...  now let's have fun PINNING!!!  :)
Come FOLLOW me, if you want to:  SUE ALLEMAND ART

Hugs,
Sue