Monday, February 24, 2014

can you SAY what you want to SAY??

Do you know this Sara Bereilles song, "Brave"??



I LOVE this song and this video!  If you listen to the lyrics... you'll hear the lines "say what you want to say, and let the words fall out, honestly.... I wanna see you be Brave"!

I was listening to this song in the car the other day... cranked up loud (of course - haha)... and it really made me think.  Are you able to "say what you wanna say"?  Really?  Honestly??  It would be so freeing if you didn't have to worry about how others would judge you or how they would treat you - for saying what you really think or what you believe.

Now, I'm not talking about saying things that would hurt another person, or that would cause harm or hate.  No racist, sexist, separatist or discriminating kind of remarks.  I'm talking about random, everyday comments that you hold back, because it might separate you (or your business) from others who believe differently??  Like if you said, "I don't believe in ____________", or "I am for _____________".

Do you stand up for what you believe, or how you feel, in an outward way -- or do you hold those comments back... so as not to be judged yourself??  Or to not cause arguments or hard feelings?

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/153580939/show-me-how-big-your-brave-is-sara
Print available from designsbynicolina on Etsy - HERE
Some people seem to have no trouble just saying whatever is on their mind, posting signs in their yard for what they believe, sticking bumper stickers on their car to "advertise" their opinions, etc.  Or even posting their beliefs on social media - with no thought (or care, it seems) that it would upset or offend anyone.

I'm a big - NO JUDGEMENT - person.  And I like to think I respect our disagreements and I don't judge our differences.  I respect your right to your opinions & beliefs and would never force my beliefs or point of view on anyone. But, honestly, there is a codicil to that - I expect you to be a kind, caring, non-judgemental, respectful person in return - if you want to be my friend.  Is that a judgement in itself?  Can you disagree with someone on beliefs, religious affiliations, political leanings, etc. and still love and respect them and their rights to those feelings and opinions?  Can you have a discussion or conversation about issues without forcing your opinion on them or starting an argument?  Can you agree to disagree - and love them anyway??  Or do you steer clear after you find out their beliefs don't agree with yours?

Hmmmm.... BIG, HEADY questions I'm posting here I think.

BRAVE Art Charm Necklace available from www.ajoyfulsoul.com
BRAVE Charm Necklace from A Joyful Soul - available HERE

I think it may be even more difficult to stand up for what you believe, if you own a business.  Look what has happened to business owners, in the media, when they state their beliefs or opinions - their businesses get boycotted, ridiculed, rumored about, etc.  Do you stop frequenting a business once you find out their political affiliations, religious beliefs, human rights beliefs??  Do you own a business and just don't care if you lose customers because their opinions and beliefs differ from yours?

It's all a big "hmmmmm...."

Yep - these are the big existential questions that go round and round in my head while I'm listening to song lyrics on the radio!  haha.

LOVE and RESPECT to you all!!

Hugs,
Sue