Wednesday, October 16, 2013

stuffed red pepper soup

It's such a dreary, gray, cold day here in Wisconsin today... so I'm making a pot of my favorite soup - Stuffed Red Pepper!

I found this recipe on the site Tried and Tasty - and I tweaked it a little to suit my spice requirements (haha) - I like it a little more flavorful -- aka spicy.  You will just love this - I've been making it, lately, about once a week - that's how much I LOVE it!  And the entire pot comes out to about 1400 calories TOTAL!  (That's if you make it with lean ground turkey like I do - instead of ground beef).  Let me know if you try it!  Enjoy!


STUFFED RED PEPPER SOUP
1.25 lb. pkg of Lean Ground Turkey (or 1 lb. ground beef, whichever you prefer)
1 large red bell pepper
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced (or use the pre-minced in a jar)
2 cans (14.5 oz. ea) diced tomatoes with onion & green pepper (or plain)
1 can (14.5 oz.) tomato sauce
2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 tsp. Dried Marjoram
1/2 tsp. Celery Salt
Salt & Pepper to taste (I like lots of pepper)
3 cups brown rice (prepared)

In a large pot, brown the ground turkey (beef).  Drain fat if any.  Reduce heat to medium and add diced red pepper, onions & garlic.  Cook until softened.  Add salt to taste.

While the meat mixture is cooking - take a soup pot and add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram, celery salt and salt & pepper to taste.  Cover and simmer on low heat.  Add the meat mixture to the soup, when the veggies are soft.  Continue to cook on low til heated through.

Make brown rice in another pot.  When soup is heated through - serve up in a bowl and add 1/2 c. of cooked brown rice to the top.

YUM!!!  I also want to try this with cooked cabbage instead of the rice!  :)  I hope it warms your tummy!!

Hugs,
Sue