Tuesday, September 3, 2013

testing DecoArt Ultra Frost

 
Wow it was a gorgeous day today!!  No humidity!  Great temperature!  Lots of sun!!  Mmmm - the air smells so good!  I hope it's great where you are!
 
I set out the day working in the studio - and wanted to test out etching some glass gems - to see if they would look like sea glass when they were done!  Sea glass you find at the shore is so irregular on the sides and I wanted to be able to solder some into a jewelry piece - so I set out to find my etching cream!  After an hour of hunting through my drawers and shelves - the heck of I could find it!
 
So - I remembered I had gotten some DecoArt Ultra Frost paint in one of my shipments from DecoArt and it was sitting right there on the shelf - begging to be tried!
 
 
I can't seem to find the White Ultra Frost on their website anymore -- I think they changed it out for the Frost Gloss Enamels which sounds like the same formula and I'm sure would work the same!  They also have a Frost WRITER that you could draw or write with - and that area would look like frost!  So cool -- I'll have to try some Christmas projects with that!
Anyway - I used the Ultra Frost I had - applied one coat to each of the gems with a clean brush - and let it dry on the paper towel.  These are my results:
 
 
I LOVE how they turned out!  They really do look like sea glass!!  A couple TIPS:  Make sure you only apply to one side - let it dry - then you can do the back if you wish.  If you try to do it all at once - it will stick to whatever it's drying on (paper towel, wax paper, etc.)  Second - I just dabbed the paint on with a brush - but you could also use a makeup sponge!
 
On the oval ones in the first picture - I just painted the frost on the backs for right now - I wanted the color of the glass to really show and that helped it not be so transparent...but I couldn't really get a good picture of it - so I didn't post it.
 
So - give it a try!  It's so easy and you don't even need gloves like you do with etching cream!  Oh and for those of you wanting to use this on glasses - you just let it dry 7 days and you'll be able to lightly wash over the frost with mild soap!  You can bake them in the oven for added durability.  Please read the instructions on the bottle!
 
Just thought you'd like to know....
 
Hugs,
Sue