Saturday, September 14, 2013

an ending and new beginnings ~

 
Well.... I was going to post some more links to FREEBIE's a few days ago....but lots of things just happened really quickly!  My life was FULL.... TOO full... FULL to overflowing -- and I was being overwhelmed by my own desire to do a million things at once!  I guess that's the way of my overachiever brain...I've always been that way...and it's the way I've always been the most happy!  I don't like being bored.  I'm a multi-tasker to the extreme!  I like waking up excited to see what I'm going to create that day - eager to see how things on my table turn out, that I just want to jump up and get going!
 
Hand-soldered art charms with inspirational messages by A Joyful Soul.com
 
Many of you know that I've been in the middle of rebranding my business for the last year or so.  I still loved doing pattern designing, magazines, licensing, etc.... but I was getting bored... everything started looking the same to me... my tastes changed... my aesthetic changed... I wanted to PLAY!  I didn't want to write down directions for everything that I created - I didn't want to only use easy processes that I could explain in a few line instructions.  So I didn't!!  I started playing with my paints... not planning anything out... not having a commission to do....not having a deadline... and I LOVED IT!!  That's what I needed to refresh myself, my business, and take myself into the next 20 years of my life!  :)
 
During my "play time" - I was still doing all my pattern and design work - trying to keep all the balls in the air on one side, while thinking and dreaming about the new direction and trying to get that started on the other side!  That was enough balls in the air....and I was keeping up...satisfying both my customers and me.  But then I started dreaming BIGGER!!  Uncontrollable dreaming - while I was sleeping - about a BIGGER purpose... a BIGGER direction.  The dreaming kept going and expanding -- so much so -- that most of my days were spent in the planning and manifesting of my  new vision.  I was swept away with a new passion, a new drive and a new business - A Joyful Soul!
 
 
A business where I could do my art...happy art...joyful art.  To only do that which makes me happy and peaceful.  And maybe I could invite some friends who make happy art - to license with me - and together we could spread joy and happiness all over the world.... while living a happy life ourselves!  I wanted everyone to see a little piece of art, a little joyful message - on art, on apparel, on cards, on jewelry, on car stickers, on tattoos.... everywhere people look... I want to spread an uplifting message that maybe gets them to smile - maybe gets them to see the wondrous beauty that life is - maybe gets them to realize what is really important.... and to just BREATHE and LOVE and be HAPPY!
 
Uh - I could just go on and on and on about my vision - but that's what PASSION does for you!  haha.  Some may say I'm sounding a little "hippie dippy" -- yeah well...maybe I am!  But I believe in it... I believe in the power to help people with just a little phrase, a little joyful color, a little kindness!  I DO!
 
 
 
That's what happened to my time and attention too -- it got swallowed up in the passion of my new business and production -- (oh and ANOTHER new endeavor I dreamed up the other day - "Art At The Beach" - where I'll be teaching and sharing art with kids and adults on the beaches of San Diego this winter - more on that another time *wink*)  that I felt like my brain was going to implode!  YES -- I finally reached that multi-tasker breaking point!  haha    "Hi - my name is Sue Allemand - and I admit that I can't do it ALL!"  haha.  And I wasn't doing justice to the pattern business.  People were asking for new designs... magazines were asking for new projects... licensing was asking for new artwork that fit in the categories they needed to fit the trends.... but I felt NO desire to do any of it!  Don't you feel that way too? -- that if it's not something you want to do or are excited to do -- it's a struggle, it takes forever to do, and it sucks all the joy out of the thing you were suppose to LOVE to do!
 
So, although I loved designing for the craft industry and helping people make items that would sell at shows and online, so they could help support their families - it was time to move on - time to devote 100% of my energies to A Joyful Soul and what may come next!  Time to pass the pattern business on to someone who's passion it is to take my patterns, add them to their design business, and build something bigger for the future!   And I'm so happy I found someone -- and REALLY QUICKLY!!  haha    This is how quick - It came to my mind - to sell the pattern business (Palette Primitives) - I put together a sheet on what it would entail and include - and put it out into the universe.... well...Facebook (that's kinda the same right?) - haha!  And within a few days - I had the perfect buyer!  She's AWESOME!  And we'll be announcing her in a couple weeks! 
 
In the meantime, I want to THANK all my customers, vendors, editors, publishers, manufacturers, and shop owners for your support and inspiration over the last 20 years!  I hope to continue to do business with you in the future - and spread a little more JOY around the world!  Here's to what's NEXT!!
 
Hugs,
Sue