Friday, May 31, 2013

day 13 ~ bloglove ~ 100 things in 100 days

I think I told you, a few days ago, that I'm reading The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau.  It's an awesome book and I highly recommend it!!  Anyway - in the chapter "Radical Exclusion and the Quest for Abundance" - he talks about a writer, David Bruno, who decided to pare down his belongings and live with only 100 items!  He was concerned with what he viewed as excessive consumerism - and it's affect in his own life. 
I could NEVER - well...at least not at this point in my life...pare down my belongings to only 100 things!  Chris decided he couldn't either - so he made his own challenge - get rid of 5 things a day for at least one month.  He could either give them away or throw them out - didn't matter - just get rid of 5 things a day.  The more he got rid of, the more he was able to concentrate on his work and enjoy his other activities - free of all that clutter!
Well - I decided to make up my own challenge as well - get rid of 100 things in 100 days!  Starting today - I'm going through everything in this house - and purge!!  There will be donations, there will be garbage - but most of all...there will be less unneeded "stuff" in this house!   Multiples of things like books or paints will count as 1 item for the whole group -- or I'd be DONE today!  haha
Here's my first item - 140 bottles of paint (pic shows only half)!  I'm giving these to a recent Art Student Graduate who is a friend of my daughter's - this should keep her going for awhile!  :) 
I'm not a big "clutter" person anyway.  I like clean and sparse!  haha  But lately it seems like we've been accumulating more stuff - and things are piled and stashed everywhere!  It's driving me nuts!  Especially now that the kids are gone - there's no need for a lot of this junk anymore!!  So it's time - and I'm so ready - to clean out every inch of this house!!  Less clutter means less cleaning - which means more time for painting and fun activities!!
I also cleaned out a whole corner of my studio today -- 8 more pieces for donation here -- plus 6 more from the linen closet!  I had numerous things I threw in the trash - but when it comes to the studio - that could be almost anything, so I didn't count the trash in my number for today!
Or maybe I should only count the items that are still useful to somebody - that I donate or giveaway - hmmm.... I don't know... I'll have to think about it.  But so far, on DAY 1 of the "radical exclusion" - haha - I'm doing pretty well!  15 items! 
Who knows - after 100 - maybe I'll try another 100!  My husband has already asked if he will "find things missing" or if he can just willingly give up stuff!  haha   We'll have to see.... there ARE a few things I would like to see go bye-bye from his closet!  :)
Are YOU up for a challenge like this??
Hugs,
Sue