Tuesday, April 30, 2013

pet peeves: it's versus people!

Pet Peeves.... do you have them??  I have a few that, for whatever reason, just drive me nuts!  I'm sure everybody does -- but I think most of mine have to do with correct vocabulary or the meaning of words.  My BIGGEST one is the abbreviation of vs.  Like Joe vs. the Volcano, the Padres vs. the Brewers.  It's like nails on a chalkboard when I hear someone use the incorrect pronunciation of verse instead of versus!  It's VER-sus people!  haha
 
ver·sus
[vur-suh s, -suh z]  
preposition
1.
against (used especially to indicate an action brought by one party against another in a court of law, or to denote competing teams or players in a sports contest): Smith versus Jones; Army versus Navy.
2.
as compared to or as one of two choices; in contrast with: traveling by plane versus traveling by train. Abbreviation:  v., vs.
 
AS OPPOSED TO:
 
verse
[vurs]   noun, adjective, verb, versed, vers·ing.
noun
1.
(not in technical use) a stanza.
2.
a succession of metrical feet written, printed, or orally composed as one line; one of the lines of a poem.
3.
a particular type of metrical line: a hexameter verse.
4.
a poem, or piece of poetry.
5.
metrical composition; poetry, especially as involving metrical form.
 
----------------------
 
Do you have little peeves that just irk you??  Or is it just my Type A personality rearing it's little horns?   Tell me about it!  Please let me know I'm not nutso!  haha   
 
 
HOT day out there today -- in the 80's!!  It was just 40 a couple days ago!  haha  That's Wisconsin for ya -- either cold or cloying humid hot -- no in between!  But I'll take the hot over the cold anyday!  Appreciate the beauty of the day -- the beauty of your life!  EVERY DAY!
 
HUGS,
 
Sue